Monday, June 20, 2011

Cisco and routing: Who says you can’t go home?


Why I'm losing hope in Cisco again this month

The last few weeks Cisco has been pressing their pitch that a network composed of a single vendor's network (Cisco's) is best for users. To me it looks like they are having to work very hard to come up with examples of happy users with nothing but Cisco, such as covered in this article: “Cisco again looks to debunk the multivendor network
I have issues with some of the examples Cisco is using. One is the Columbus, Ohio, Regional Airport Authority. I live in Columbus and it is not a big airport. More importantly, the IT executives I talk to say that they have no intention of using only Cisco, period. I would say it is a 10 out of 10 when I ask executives, and they don’t hesitate. So if I am getting this feedback, what happy place is Cisco in thinking this kind of product positioning will work? Discounts of 70% will only go so far for a customer -- customers also want choice. Why not recognize that the idea of a multivendor network is here to stay?

No comments: