There is no dedicated Windows 8 Driver for the ATI Mobility X300/X600/X1300/X1400 graphics cards but I have documented that the Windows Vista Driver R153383.exe will install and work reliably in Microsoft Windows8.
The steps for installation are listed below:
- Download the R153383.exe drvier from: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=R153383 and extract the compressed files, then cancel the automatic installation of the driver (It crashed out on me when I ran the install)
- From The Style UI interface, move the mouse pointer to the lower left corner, and Right Click, select Device Manager from the pop-up menu.
- Click the arrow next to Display Adapter, Microsoft Basic Display should be listed.
- Right Click the Microsoft Basic Display and click Update Driver, then select Browse My Computer ...., then Click Let Me Pick From a List ....
- Click the HAVE DISK Button in the Install from Disk Window, browse to the C:\Dell\Drivers\R153383\Packages\Driver\Display\LH_INF folder and click CL_45540.inf then Click Open and OK to install the driver.
I have completed this process on both an Inspiron E1505/6400 and Inspiron 6000 and both systems are working fine, even power management seems to function well.